Prenatal medicine and high-risk obstetrics
Parents-to-be will experience a wide range of emotions during pregnancy: excitement, anticipation – and often a certain amount of concern regarding the health of their unborn child. Thanks to today's modern diagnostics, it is easy to obtain information on the state of the baby’s health very early in the pregnancy. In most cases, the results obtained from these checks are clear, which stops the parents from worrying and relieves their concerns.
Prenatal medicine is all about giving parents this freedom from worry and ensuring the safety and health of the unborn baby. And should any complications occur during the pregnancy or if there are any indications of potential risks during the birth, then rest assured that our team of internationally recognised specialists here at the University Clinic of Cologne will have you in the very best hands!
State-of-the-art diagnostics and highly specialised treatment
Today, thanks to high-resolution ultrasound diagnostics, it is possible to check the unborn baby for all sorts of illnesses and conditions well before the due date. Here at the University Clinic of Cologne, our experts carry out various highly specialised examinations and treatments that are all based on leading-edge science. In particular, we have tremendous experience in caring for twin or multiple pregnancies and potential complications. We are also one of the few centres in the world that will, following due and in-depth consideration of the possible risks, carry out surgical procedures on the unborn baby while still in the womb.
In the event of a foetal disease being diagnosed, all our departments will be at your disposal. These departments all work closely together to provide the optimum multidisciplinary advice and support. One of our main focuses is foetal cardiology. In the event of a prenatally diagnosed cardiac defect, paediatric cardiology and surgical specialists can be consulted directly and a treatment concept prepared together.
Maximum safety all around the birth
The birth of a child is something incredibly special – and we will do everything we can to make sure you are comfortable and feel at home at the hospital, and to comply with your individual requests. At the same time, we make sure that both mother and baby are absolutely safe – using the latest-generation technology and a team of experts that is there for you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In the neonatology unit at the University Clinic of Cologne, premature and new babies with life-threatening congenital or acquired diseases are cared for in the closest possible interdisciplinary co-operation with obstetric, human genetic, paediatric cardiology specialists, maxillo-facial surgeons and the latest treatment methods. The perinatal centre at the University Clinic of Cologne is one of the leading facilities in the world.
- Early organ diagnostics and cardiac ultrasound in the first trimester (skin fold measurement)
- Differentiated malformation screening in the second trimester ("genetic" sonography)
- Echocardiography (special ultrasound scan of the heart)
- Doppler sonography of the placental vessels
- 3D/4D sonography
- High-end ultrasound and latest generation CTG equipment
- Samples taken from placental tissue (chorionic villus sampling)
- Foetal blood sampling (cordocentesis)
- Human genetic consultation
- Monitoring and support in multiple pregnancies
- Transfusion of red blood cells and platelets
- Draining measures (shunt surgery) in the event of urinary obstruction (megacystis) and oedema on the lungs (hydrothorax)
- Laser therapy in twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) and lung tumours (sequester)
- Drug therapy to treat foetal infections or cardiac arrhythmia
- Foetal surgery (surgery on the unborn baby)